How Can General Fitness Be Improved?
These days it can be a struggle to juggle a busy schedule and maintain a healthy and active lifestyle. Many people are becoming more concerned with about their physical health, especially as they age. Two of the main reasons that encourage people to try and improve their fitness level with fitness equipment are the health benefits and physical appearance that are associated with an active lifestyle. Below, we will discuss three different steps for improving your general fitness level and helpful tips for each.
Step 1 Increase Physical Activity
1. Even if you struggle to set aside regular time to go to the gym, there are many things that you can do to increase your overall physical activity. Every little bit helps and with a plan in place, it is easier to accomplish your fitness goals.
2. Begin by setting small daily goals such as half an hour of exercise and decide what activities you will participate in such as going for a brisk walk, taking a bike ride or going swimming,
3. Keep track of your progress to stay motivated. There are a number of fitness apps designed to document your daily activity and help keep you on track for your goals. Some different ways to track your physical fitness include counting the number of sit ups or pushups you do each day, how much weight you can lift, minute spent being active each day, body measurements and speed of performing an activity such as running a mile.
4. Start small and don’t become discouraged by setting goals which are too difficult to begin right away, especially if it has been some time since you have been active. Instead, break your goals down into small milestones and gradually increase the intensity and duration of your exercise routine as your fitness level improves.
5. In addition to including half an hour of daily cardiovascular activity, incorporate strength training into your routine. You only need to set aside time for strength training twice a week and pick a workout that will target all of your major muscle groups.
6. Take advantage of down time. A few minutes here and there can add up over the long run. Some ideas to consider are parking your car further away from the entrance for shopping malls or grocery stores, performing sit ups during commercial breaks when watching TV or taking the stairs instead of the elevator at the office.
Step 2 Make Lifestyle Changes
Making a few lifestyle changes can help improve your overall health and fitness level. If you are overweight, you can be at a higher risk for developing chronic diseases such as diabetes or high blood pressure. Not to mention, being overweight can hinder your physical fitness level. If you do need to lose some weight, begin with a weight loss program that has been approved by your doctor and choose healthier meal choices whenever possible.
Quitting smoking and reducing your alcohol intake is also a beneficial lifestyle change. Smoking can interfere with your fitness goals not to mention carries a high risk of developing life-threatening diseases. If you are having difficulty quitting, consult with your doctor about treatment options. Alcohol adds empty calories to your diet and can cause health problems such as fatigue and dehydration which can make it difficult to improve your overall fitness level. Try to cut back on the number of drinks you consume each week and if you are having difficulty lowering your alcohol intake, speak with your doctor.
Step 3 Improve Your Eating Habits
Eating healthy and following a balanced diet is essential for your overall health and will give you the energy you need to be physically active.
Determine the number of calories you need for each day and pay attention to how much you are consuming. You can start a food diary or use an app to track your meals and daily calories. Sometimes it can be difficult to estimate portion size and measuring your food will ensure that you are not accidently overeating.
They say you are what you eat and following a balanced diet is key. Include a wide variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean protein and complex carbohydrates. As you aim to eat healthier, start eliminating poor or unnecessary choices such as fried foods, items with high sugar content, too much red meat as well as products which contain a high level of saturated fats.
By following the above steps and setting small, attainable goals, you will be well on your way to answering your question on how can general fitness be improved and will be thrilled at the results.
If you are considering purchasing home gym equipment to make your workout routine more convenient, download our latest promotions to save.